Services

There are branches of which the following are the main ones:

  • A modern school established in 1955 still offering services ranging from K.G. to preparatory college
  • Embroidery, priestly vestments. There is Small scale industry to making Embroidery such as priestly vestments and church Ceremonial robes.
  • Modern buildings for rent and clinical service were constructed under the development committee of the cathedral, and there is also a hall for different services and cavities for burial. All these are the means of income generations of the Cathedral .There is also  One standard hall for meetings and matrimonial services and Rental rooms for Various offices uses on payment and
  • A modern museum was constructed and offered by a benefactor, Bekue Memenan, Kebede Tekalign, in which many historical and spiritual antiquities are on display meanwhile with the mentioned activities the Cathedral is building success up on success.
  • Tourism in the Cathedral, there are gorgeous spiritual glass stained pictures mirroring the history of the old and the new Testaments.
  • Mortuary/Tombs

The School

The Holy Trinity Cathedral school was inaugurated in 1955 E.C. by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church under the auspices of His Imperial Majesty, Haile Sellassie I That was also a good opportunity for the church to continue afresh its contribution to the country’s educational history. It should be remembered that the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church has served as an education ministry for many years, providing basic education in those old days. The school established was the first of its kind. it was started as an evening school enrolling merely 8 students who were deacons and monks.

After a year-1956-the school stretched its grades 1-4 and started teaching in a regular program. At that very year the number of students learning reached 39. In its early foundation years, the Holy Trinity Cathedral School was as well known as The Ethiopian Orthodox Mission School.The Shutdown of the previous “Holy Trinity primary and secondary spiritual school” led to the foundation of the latter “The Holy Trinity Modern School”. The foundation was brought in to existence after a suspended study and focused purpose.

The Primary purpose of the school was to address the priests, monks, nuns and deacons, who were in charge of religious services, with a modern and contemporary education. Meanwhile, there were challenges to convince these church service so as they attend schooling; but with the unreserved supervision and awareness raising of the cathedral’s higher administrators and Godly fathers, it was possible to enroll these church community in a regular modern education.
The rough statistics (with lack of accurate documentation) of the number of students enrolling and teachers on duty from 1955 through 1965-a decade- shows as follows.

No Year Number of students Number of teachers
11955Only 8 evening studentsunknown
2195639 studentsUnknown
31957300 studentsUnknown
41964425 students15
51965780 students20
4820032354 students34

The Holy Trinity Cathedral school, which was primarily targeted to enrich the church community, encompassed the vast community and began enrolling students who were ‘off fence’ of the church.
Considering one of the church’s purposes-serving the community-into account, the school enrolled children of the poor community around.  Thus shoeshine boys and newspaper and magazine venders could entertain schooling for free.
Beside the regular modern education the school used to give the following lessons which soon led the school to be popular.

  • History of church
  • History of the Holy Bible
  • History of Religion
  • Translation (Teriguame)
  • “Kine” and “Zema”

These co-curricular church based lessons resulted in bringing up students who were quite disciplined and courteous and hence the school took no langer time to arouse the interest and pleasure of the vast society.In 1962, following the over whelming number of students and the enhancement of the school’s standard and to utmost with a popular demand,  The Holy Trinity Cathedral school started to make students pay a relatively lower tuition fee-five (5) birr.The school’s fame was once hit a high and the number of parents in need of sending their kids to the school was enormously booming to the extent which the school could not usher the overflowing number of students.  In connection to this, the school set a committee which recruit candidates who could enroll in the school under a vivid criteria.

The site of the school at the very begging-1955 was at the back of the current Cathedral’s Administration office.  With the increase of the number of students, the school shifted its location where relatively could encompass its students to the present elementary campus located at the back, of the Holy Trinity Cathedral adjacent to the House of peoples Representatives of Ethiopia.  Walking in a successful track, the school could elongates its Grades to Grade 12 and for the first time enrolled candidates for Ethiopian School Learning Certificate Examination (ESLCE) in 1968 E.C.  Having reached this utmost pick of success, the school could hardly leave from different dominations of the time.  There by, it was forced to keep itself only as an elementary and junior school-Grade 1-8.

The New building of the School

The Holy Trinity Cathedral has been coming through successes and utmost achievements of its goals since its inauguration 1955.  Following this the school’s (its) fame and popularity could be heard over the vast community. In the mean time most parents keep on sending their kids to the school with the result of the flourishing number of students the previous old classrooms and blocks couldn’t usher the flowing number of students.  As a result of this the school build a modern ground plus two building with well equipped library, internet centre, laboratory and play ground. The school started enrolling students in the new building with efficient management and teaching staff.

The Holy Trinity Cathedral school has been up grading itself in terms of quality and standard since its inauguration now.  The number of students enrolling is scaling up year after year.  The well organization of the school and the standard of teachers (Masters and BSC and BA holders) are the main values of the school to bring up competent students.

Currently the school, with its primary preparatory and secondary branches enrolls 2300 students. Meanwhile, the school is well-known for its students who pass elementary school leaving, Grade 10 and 12 exams with an extraordinary points.

The Holy Trinity Cathedral school is being granted various recognitions and accreditations from woreda and sub-city educational beruea for its outstanding achievements year often year.

The Museum

The former Museum was in the down stairs chambers of the cathedral which was not convenient for visitors. The eccliastical articles are now transferred to the newly built standard Museum denoted by Ato Kebede Tekalign a devoted follower of the Ethiopian Orthodox church. Inaugurated by his holiness Abune paulos, patriarch of the Ethiopian orthodox, Archbishop of Axum, Echege of the see of Teklehaimanot, President of the council of churches and Honorary president of world reliogions for peace.  The Museum houses a lot of historical and eccliastical heritages which are priceless. The relics are the contributions of Emperors, Empresses, individual, sister churches and Church fathers.  The heritages have kept their origin for many years against the wears and tears of time.  The elements from which the relics made are from Gold, Silver Brace and so on.  There are also others which are Gold and Silver plated.  Apart from this there are many religious Books written on different tipics on parchments by different scribes and church scholars.  Most of the Books are written in Geez language and some of them are in Amharic.  Amongst the Books, one can see the amazing Books of Yared about church song compositions.  They were composed in the 5th century.  This church songs are so complex to sing sometimes they may take one a life time to sing them.  Furthermore, Ethiopia is the sole owner of its own Alphabet, Numerical figures and calendar. The Main Objective of the Museum To create conducive situation to exhibit the religious and historical heritages for both public and foreign visitors, Painstakingly keep these historical antiquities and pass it on to next generation. The tourist attractions are religious and historical relies are categorized as follows. Historical Thrones Crowns Battle Dresses and so on Religious Crosses Chalise Patern Embroidered Cermenial Robs and Umberlias Minorah Books Written on parchemenst List of Doners ArchBishops and Church Fathers Emperor Menilek II Empress Taytu Emperor Haileselassie Empress Menen Royal princes Former Officials Oriental churches These historical and religious heritages require the attention of the Government and people to protect them from looting.

Entrance Fee

  • Foreigners Birr 50.00
  • Ethiopians Birr 5.00
  • Students Birr 3.00
  • Video Birr 50.0

Charity

The Holy Trinity Cathedral charity was established during the time of Emperor Haileselassie. It is still in existence helping the needy. During the time of the former king, he was providing Fund worth enough to feed and cloth the poor. But after the dethronment of the Emperor, things have become different and the charity run out of funds as a result of which the needy are in dire shortage to provide the necessary provisions.

It would be worthwhile to make clear that those of you who have the interest of extending help for the subsistence of the service of the charity. The church we in advance express our indebtedness of any contribution. At present the charity assistances fifteen aged and helpless women with a budget of Birr 600.00.

Spiritual Services

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Churches, there are prayers twice a day in the morning and in the evening.  After the prayers are over all churches remain closed, but the Cathedral being a Church and a Museum, it is open all day long for visitors.

The Holy Sacrifice of Liturgy-mass

  • The liturgy

SACRED LITURGY is the very heart of Ethiopian Orthodox worship.  All the various kinds and types of Orthodox prayers and ritual cluster around the Sacrifice of the Mass which was instituted by the Lord the same night in which He was betrayed (1 cor. 11:23-25).

Liturgy is celebrated daily.  In addition to the celebrant (main priest) and at least one other priest, the presence of three deacons is required.  The Ethiopic Liturgy is an expansion of the version of St. Mark, the rite used by the Coptic Church in Egypt.  It is divided into pre-anaphora and anaphora.  Anaphora corresponds to CANON of the Mass in the Western Churches.  While the Western Church has an anaphora (canon), the canon of the Mass with its Preface, there are fourteen anaphora’s in the Ethiopian Liturgy.  However, the Anaphora of the Twelve Apostles is the standard form in the Ethiopian Church and the others are used on special days.

SYNOPSIS OF THE ETHIOPIAN ORTHODOX LITURGY OF THE APOSTLES

  • While the believers assemble in the church, the priest conducts the service of preparation.
  • The Introit is chanted while the bread for the consecration is brought from the Bethlehem (place where wine and bread for Mass are prepared).  The bread is taken in procession thrice around the altar.  Wine is poured into the chalice and offertory prayers are said.
  • The priest chants the Doxology which is followed by St. Basil’s Prayer, the prayer of oblation and the prayer of the Veil.
  • While the people prostrate themselves the Bishop or priest says the prayer of Absolution which is followed by the Deacon’s Litany.
  • The blessing of the Censer and offering of incense  follows.  An invocation of the Mother of God and a praise of the Holy Trinity are sung.
  • The censing of the whole church and the preparatory prayer before the reading of the Epistle take place at the same time.  The Epistle consists of three lections.
  • Triaging follows and the Gospel is taken around the altar.  A litany is said by the assistant priest and the Gospel is read by the Bishop or priest.  The Gospel is taken around to be kissed by the whole congregation.
  • ‘Missa Fidelium’ begins with the priest’s prayer for peace and is followed by the Deacon’s Litany for all the faithful.  The Creed is  recited by the deacon.
  • Lavabo or priest’s washing of hands is followed by the “kiss of peace” in the form of the people bowing to each other.
  • The Anaphora proper begins with ‘sursum corda’ (Lift up Your hearts):  Following the sursum corda and the Thanksgiving for Redemption (Preface), there are the commemoration of the saints and the Intercession for all the faithful. This is followed by the rest of the Eucharistic Prayer including the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy), the words of Institution, Anamnesis and the Epiclesis or invocation of the Holy Spirit for the consecration of the elements.
  • Fraction follows and the Lord’s prayer (Pater Noster) is said.  The  prayer of penitence is said by the priest and the prayer of Intercession follows.  The priest declares.  “Holy things to the Holy”,  elevates the host and communion follows.  Prayers of Thanksgiving are said and the priest blesses and dismisses the people.

Activities

Income generations

  • One standard hall for meetings and matrimonial services on payment.
  • Small scale industry for the making of Embroidery and church Ceremonial robes.
  • Mortuary
  • Rental rooms for Various offices uses
  • Tourism

In the Cathedral, there are gorgeous spiritual glass stained pictures mirroring the history of the old and the new Testaments.  The pictures of the old Testament covers from Adam and Eve to Kind Solomon and Queen Sheba.  On the contrary, the New Testament covers from the Nativity to the Pentecost on the other, there are historical pictures showing Emperor Hailessilasie hoisting the Ethiopian flag after victory and addressing the league of Nations in Geneva.

There are branches of which the following are the main ones:

  1. A modern school established in 1955 still offering services ranging from K.G. to preparatory college;
  2. Embroidery, priestly vestments.
  3. Modern buildings for rent and clinical service were constructed under the development committee of the cathedral, and there is also a hall for different services and cavities for burial. All these are the means of income generations of the Cathedral and
  4. A modern museum was constructed and offered by a benefactor, Bekue Memenan, Kebede Tekalign, in which many historical and spiritual antiquities are on display meanwhile with the mentioned activities the Cathedral is building success up on success.

Organizational Structure

Since the Cathedral has a worldwide popularity and significance, the Administration is fully staffed by highly qualified church men and other professionals. Especially, the Administrator of the Cathedral is selected and assigned by the patriarchate. The Administration consists of the followings

  • Parish
  • Administrator
  • Secretary
  • Accountants
  • Lawyer
  • Auditors
  • Cash collectors
  • Tourist guides
  • Store keepers
  • Curators
  • Shops for selling Ecclesiastical
  • Evangelism
  • Charity
  • Archive

Church History

The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido church is owner of several religious, traditional and historical heritages amongst which are buildings, rock hewn churches, monasteries, historical monuments, literature and ecclesiastical articles. These are also among the wonders of the world, and the Cathedral is part of these.

The Holy Trinity Cathedral is one of the foremost historical sites in Addis Abeba and apart from its historicity:

  • It is a venue of economical meetings,
  • It offers special services of ceremonies like the enthronement of Bishops, Arch Bishops and pathriarics,
  • It provides memorial national ceremonies and prayers are also held.

The Holy Trinity Cathedral was established on December 22, 1931, under the auspices of His Imperial Majesty Haileselassie I. But during the war of resistance against fascism, the construction was disrupted for five years (1935 – 1940). Through the help of the Almighty, the construction had continued after liberation and was completed in1943. And the Cathedral was officially inaugurated on January 14, 1943. The building of the Cathedral occupies an area of 1200 square meters and it is 16 meters high. The graceful architectural structure of the Cathedral and its fabulous fine arts incredibly hard to believe that it is made by man.

The Cathedral is dedicated to the memory of those patriots who took part during the war of liberation. It remains the burial place of patriots. The crypts and the graves of the Impress Menen Emperor Hailesilasie, princes and princesses are also found in this Cathedral. With in the compound of the Cathedral, the graves of his Holyness Abuna Teklehaimanot, Bishops and the monument of those Military and Civilian Officials of His Imperial Majesty who were brutally murdered by the Dergue are found.

Under the order of the Majesty, further study was made by specialists to expand the dimension of the Cathedral to serve for more , church laymen. The present structure took shape for the third time, it was in 1964. The name of the Holy Trinity Cathedral was. bestowed by Likesiltanat Abba Meliektu who later became the patriaric of Ethiopia, Aba Theophilos in 1945.

On the other hand, on the Southern side of the Cathedral, there is a graceful circular church that was founded by Emperor Minilik II in 1887. Its former name was Mekanesilassie, and latter renamed Bealewold. Apart from these, the structure of the church is gracious and gravitating. Inside this stupendous church, the walls are decorated with beautiful spiritual murals done by indigenous artists.

The Holy Trinity Cathedral is located in the capital city of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa at Arat Kilo. It is also a venue of religious meetings and enthronement of patriarchs . Furthermore, it is a place where international Ecumenical meetings take place.

As regards to the Administration of the cathedral, from 1890 – 2007 about 26 administrators were assigned. There are about 300 both spiritual and different administrative service men are involved. Amongst the Administrators of the Cathedral more than half of them were elevated to the rank of Arch Bishop and up to the rank of patriarch, and this testifies the grandeur of the Cathedral.

Tourism

In the Cathedral, there are gorgeious spiritual glass stained pictures mirroring the history of the old and the new Testaments. The pictures of the old Testament covers from Adam and Eve to Kind Solomon and Queen Sheba. On the contrary, the New Testament covers from the Nativity to the Pentecost on the other, there are historical pictures showing Emperor Hailessilasie hoisting the Ethiopian flag after victory and addressing the league of Nations in Geneva.

Tombs

In the most inner part of the Cathedral there are two Tombs one of which is the Emperor Hailessillasie and the other one is the Empress, Menen. The Tombs reflect three historical heritages of the country.

  • The top of the tombs are the obelisks of Axum-the middle ones are one of the eleven rock hewn churches of lalibela, and the third one is the claw of the lion of Judah.

Thrones

Emperor Haileselassie and the rest of his family were followers of the Ethiopian Orthodox church. Whenever the king and the Queen came to attend mass, they sit on their thrones. And nobody is allowed to sit in any of the thrones. The two thrones are part of the tourist attractions of the Cathedral.